SKELAXIN DRUG INFO
The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute
for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or
other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate
that use of Skelaxin is safe, appropriate, or effective for you.
Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.
SKELETAL MUSCLE RELAXANTS - ORAL
COMMON BRAND NAME(S): Parafon Forte
DSC, Robaxin, Skelaxin
USES: This medication relaxes muscles
and relieves pain and discomfort associated with strains, sprains,
spasms or other muscle injuries.
HOW TO USE: Skelaxin may be taken with food
or immediately after meals to prevent stomach upset. Do not increase
your dose, take it more frequently or take it for a longer period
of time than your physician has recommended.
SIDE EFFECTS: May cause stomach
upset, heartburn, constipation, headache, dizziness or drowsiness
the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these
symptoms persist or become severe, notify your doctor. Inform your
doctor if you develop: persistent stomach pain, skin rash, itching,
rapid heart rate, yellowing of eyes or skin. May discolor urine.
This will disappear when the medication is stopped. In the unlikely
event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek immediate
medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to Skelaxin include: rash,
itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other
effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your
medical history, especially of: seizures, kidney or liver disease,
any drug allergies. Alcoholic beverages may increase the dizziness/drowsiness
effects of this drug. Limit alcohol intake. Use caution engaging
in activities requiring alertness such as driving or operating machinery.
When arising quickly from a sitting or lying position, this drug
may cause dizziness/lightheadedness. Change positions slowly. This
medication should be used during pregnancy only when clearly needed.
Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. It is not known
if this drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before
Many drugs can increase the effects of Skelaxin, which can lead to heavy sedation. Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- antihistamines such as brompheniramine (Dimetane, Bromfed, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, Teldrin, others), azatadine (Optimine), clemastine (Tavist), and many others;
- narcotics (pain killers) such as meperidine (Demerol), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR, others), propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), hydrocodone (Lorcet, Vicodin), oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan), fentanyl (Duragesic), and codeine (Fiorinal, Fioricet, Tylenol #3, others);
- sedatives such as phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal), amobarbital (Amytal), and secobarbital (Seconal);
- phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine); or
- antidepressants such as doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), phenelzine (Nardil), and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
OVERDOSE: If overdose of Skelaxin is suspected,
contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include severe drowsiness or unconsciousness.
NOTES: Skelaxin provides
temporary relief and should be an augment alongside rest and sleep, physical
therapy and other measures as directed by your doctor. Do not allow
anyone else to take this medication.
MISSED DOSE: If you miss a dose,
take as soon as remembered within 1 hour. Otherwise skip that dose
and resume usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the
dose to catch up.
STORAGE: Store at room temperature
between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from
moisture and sunlight. Do not store Skelaxin in the bathroom.