Podofilox (po-do-FIL-ox) is used to remove certain types of warts on the outside skin of the genital areas (penis or vulva). The gel is used also to treat warts between the genitals and the rectum, the solution is not. Neither the gel nor the solution is used to treat warts that occur inside the rectum, vagina, or urine passageways inside the penis (male) or the vulva (female). Podofilox works by destroying the skin of the wart.
CONDYLOX DRUG INFO
is used to remove certain types of warts on the outside skin of the genital areas (penis or vulva). The gel is used also to treat warts between the genitals and the rectum, the solution is not. Neither the gel nor the solution is used to treat warts that occur inside the rectum, vagina, or urine passageways inside the penis (male) or the vulva (female). Podofilox works by destroying the skin of the wart.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription, in the following dosage form(s):
- Gel (U.S.)
- Solution (U.S.)
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Condylox?
Talk to your doctor before using podofilox topical if you have allergies to medications, other medical conditions, or if you take or use other medications. You may not be able to use podofilox topical, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment.
Podofilox topical is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether it will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not use podofilox topical without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. Use of effective birth control is recommended during treatment with podofilox topical.
It is not known whether podofilox topical passes into breast milk and if it will be harmful to a nursing baby. Do not use podofilox topical without first consulting your physician if you are nursing a baby.
Proper Use of This Medicine
A paper with information for the patient will be given to you with your filled prescription and will provide many details concerning the use of podofilox. Read this paper carefully and ask your health care professional if you need additional information.
Also, keep podofilox away from the eyes and mucous membranes, such as the inside of the penis, rectum, or vagina. This medicine may cause severe irritation. If you get this medicine in your eyes or on one of these areas, immediately flush the area with water for 15 minutes.
Use podofilox only as directed, no more than 3 days a week and no more than 4 treatment cycles. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. To do so may increase the chances that this medicine is absorbed into the body and that side effects could occur.
Do not apply the medicine to any other wart until you discuss it with your doctor. The total dose of podofilox used on all warts should not exceed that which would cover an area measuring 1.6 square inches (10 square centimeters), about the size of a dollar coin.
- To apply Condylox, use the applicators that come with the solution or a cotton-tipped applicator. When applying the gel, use a cotton-tipped applicator or your finger. Avoid re-using an applicator or dip a used applicator into the bottle.
Apply podofilox only to the wart(s) discussed with your doctor.
- There are documented cases of Podofilox resulting in severe irritation of normal skin. If you get medicine on normal skin, wash it off immediately.
Make sure the treated area is dry before allowing the treated skin to come in contact with normal, untreated skin.
- Immediately after applying this medicine, wash your hands to remove any medicine. Properly discard used applicator(s).
The dose of podofilox will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of podofilox. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
- For topical dosage form (gel):
- For warts on penis or vulva (genitals) or on skin between genitals and rectum:
- Adults—Apply to the wart(s) two times a day for three days in a row using an applicator tip or finger. Skip four days by not applying any medicine for four days in a row. If the wart can still be seen, this application cycle may be repeated each week for up to four weeks, until the wart is gone. No more than 0.5 grams of gel should be used each day of treatment.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by the doctor.
- For topical dosage form (solution):
- For warts on penis or vulva (genitals) only:
- Adults—Apply to the wart(s) two times a day (every twelve hours) for three days in a row using applicator tip. Skip four days by not applying any medicine for four days in a row. If the wart can still be seen, this application cycle may be repeated each week for up to four weeks, until the wart is gone. No more than 0.5 milliliters of solution should be used each day of treatment.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by the doctor.
If you miss a dose of this medicine, apply it as soon as possible. Then go back to your regular dosing schedule.
To store this medicine:
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store away from heat and direct light.
- Keep the lid tightly shut.
- Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed. Be sure that any discarded medicine is out of the reach of children.
Precautions While Using This Medicine
Podofilox may not be able to prevent previously healed warts from reappearing or stop new warts from growing.
This medicine contains alcohol and can be ignited. Therefore, do not use near heat, near open flame, or while smoking.
Potential Side Effects of This Medication
Side Effects of This Medicine
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:
- Bad odor (solution only);
bleeding of treated skin;
blistering, crusting, or scabbing of treated skin;
bloody urine (solution only);
burning feeling of treated skin;
dizziness (solution only);
headache (gel only);
itching of treated skin;
pain during sexual intercourse (solution only);
pain of treated skin;
problems with foreskin of penis (solution only) ;
redness or swelling of treated skin;
scarring of treated skin (solution only);
skin ulcers of treated skin;
vomiting (solution only)
Symptoms of overdose--in order of occurrence
unusual bleeding or bruising ;
Other side effects of Condylox may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:
- Dryness of treated skin;
peeling of treated skin;
soreness or tenderness of treated skin ;
stinging or tingling of treated skin;
trouble in sleeping (solution only)
- Changes in color of treated skin (gel only);
skin rash (gel only)
Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.